Hair Loss Treatments
So, you should now understand the type of hair loss you are suffering if you have read our article on "Evaluating your Hair Loss".
You should also now be aware that most hair loss is due to a hormonal imbalance too, specifically how the hormone DHT interacts with Androgens.
You should also be aware that an itchy, inflamed scalp is another by-product of DHT and must be addressed for any hair loss regimen to be successful.
We can now examine the 5 types of hair loss treatments...
Solutions: the Five Types
There are 5 types of treatments that each address different causes of male and female hair loss.
- DHT Inhibitors:
As discussed in the "Why Me?" article too much DHT is produced when the binding of testosterone to 5-Alpha-reductase (an enzyme) increases. This results in an imbalance in the biology of the hair follicle and growth slows down. Treatments that reduce or inhibit the production of DHT are attacking the root of the problem.
- Super Oxide Dismutase Treatments / Immune System Treatments:
When excess DHT is produced this can cause inflammation of the scalp. This is because our bodies consider the hair follicles foreign objects and start attacking them! Super Oxide Dismutase treatments (or SODs) address this issue. When your body decides that your hair follicles are foreign objects it produces Super Oxides. SODs reduce the levels of Super Oxides.
- Growth Stimulators:
Growth stimulators look to promote growth but do not actually address the cause of the hair loss. Whilst this may not sound a good idea they can be very successful in cosmetically changing your appearance. This, of course, has great mental benefits too. Used in conjunction with other treatments to treat the root cause of the hair loss they are an excellent addition to any hair loss regimen.
As discussed in the "Why Me?" article one of the main causes of hair loss is the binding of DHT to the Androgen receptors. DHT inhibitors actually reduce or inhibit the levels of DHT. Anti-Androgens are several steps down the chemical reaction that leads to hair loss and stop the DHT binding to the Androgen receptors which therefore stops the hair follicle being damaged.
As discussed previously, as a result of the immune system attacking the hair follicles (assuming they are foreign entities) the scalp becomes inflamed, flaky and itchy. These treatments help with these symptoms. It cannot be stressed how important it is to treat these symptoms. If you don't then this will affect the overall success of your hair loss regimen.
Solutions: The Products
There are many products on the market that claim to inhibit DHT, or stimulate hair growth. Here at CHL we endorse and heartily recommend the following products.
- Thymuskin - this range has more clinical data to back its effectiveness than many other products, and you get what you pay for! It is slightly more expensive than some of the other treatments but we feel the results are worth it.. Success rate of 67% in men and 97% in women. An excellent DHT inhibitor and growth stimulator. Read more ...
- Revivogen - a good DHT inhibitor, applied locally. Also contains growth stimulators. Excellent results in men and women reported with 77% reporting positive results including decreased hair loss and increased thickness of the hair. Read more...
- Tricomin - utilises copper peptides to shorten the resting phase of the hair resulting in a greater number of hairs in the growth phase at any given time. This results in thicker hair and it is classed as a type of growth stimulator. It is not a DHT inhibitor so you should select a product that has DHT inhibiting properties as well as Tricomin. A great addition to any other hair loss regimen. Read more...
- Procerin - attack hair loss with DHT inhibiting supplements and a topical serum, Procerin XT Foam, applied to the scalp. The serum contains a fantastic set of growth stimulators and growth inhibitors. Read more...
- HairMax LaserComb - a proven treatment for thinning hair, combating hair loss and re-growing scalp hair. A great laser therapy product that has a huge success rate. Read more...
- Nanogen Hair Loss Products - The Nanofibres hair concealer is one of our best sellers and is truly amazing - cover up thinning hair in 30 seconds - we have a great movie demonstration you can see on our Nanofibers page here. There are then a selection of DHT inhibitors, growth stimulators and thickeners. A great range of hair loss products.
You can now read the last article, "Best Treatments For You" by clicking here if you wish.